[austechwriter] Re: Enter vs. Type

  • From: "bja" <bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:29:19 +1000

Melanie Kendell wrote:

> bja wrote:
> > What's wrong with 'enter'? I haven't used a typewriter for
> > over a decade
>
> but your users might still be.

I'm sure that somewhere out there, someone still uses an abacus too, but
since we write for more than one individual at a time, I think we can safely
argue that the vast majority of users do NOT use a typewriter (or abacus)
these days.

If, however, you are still writing instructions on how to remove a
typewriter ribbon, then I guess your point is valid.
Hands up those whose target audience PRIMARILY uses a typewriter.

Come on..... put your hands up (he says as he hears the crickets in the
background).

Come on...

A number of responders to this thread cite specific examples and I also knew
a guy who lifted a mouse into the air, pointed it at the screen like a
remote control, clicked the buttons and wondered why it didn't do anything
(he's a programmer now).

We all know people like this but they are the rare exception and all
arguments for the sake of arguments aside, how many of us actually write for
these users?

To be on the safe side though, if you feel your audience may be easily
'confused', you should define the terms at the start.

> > so I actually don't 'type' anymore.
>
> Data entry using a keyboard is still called typing.

I'll grant you that but it achieves nothing until you press <Enter>. The
result of your typing therefore, is to 'enter' data (note the different use
of 'enter' and <Enter>).

The reason this issue was raised in the first place was because 'enter' was
requested by Wendy's colleagues. This is because to many of us, 'type' is
simply an anachronism from the days of the typewriter.

In a few years, saying 'type' could become as useful as saying "hit the
carriage return" (my apologies to any under-resourced old timers out there
still using <CR> keyboards:)), "go to your terminal" or "remember to make a
carbon copy".

> > The use of 'type', while common, is inappropriate in this context.
>
> Have you conducted interviews with Wendy's audience then that
> you know so
> well what is appropriate or inappropriate in *this* context?
>
> -Melanie Kendell

I'm happy to guess though, that since Wendy's colleagues (who would be
closer to the audience than either of us) have already requested the use of
'enter', that my lack of interview responses are a lot safer than yours
Melanie.

My final 0.02.

Regards,

Bruce Ashley