[austechwriter] Re: Enter vs. Type

  • From: "bja" <bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:45:33 +1000

What's wrong with 'enter'? I haven't used a typewriter for over a decade so
I actually don't 'type' anymore.

Technically, we enter data by using either a keyboard or one of many other
data entry devices such as a stylus, mouse, finger, laser, keypad or pointer
stuck to your forehead (whatever they are actually called). The computer
then interprets the data entered and makes it available for printing to a
screen or other output device such as a printer.

Your US colleagues are therefore correct in their use of the word 'enter'.
The use of 'type', while common, is inappropriate in this context.

My 0.02 as usual.

Regards,

Bruce Ashley