[austechwriter] Re: BA training

  • From: Peter Rule <p_ruleau@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:28:32 +1000 (EST)

>As many BAs are being recruited direct from within a business, often >from
>fairly junior roles and with very little IT experience, there is a >diffferent
>category of BA for which training is needed.

I'm sure you are correct, but I suspect you'll find this is more for economic
or other reasons rather than because they make the best BAs.   They may have a
good understanding of the business requirements but this doesn't necessarily
mean they'll be able to turn that into software if they don't know how to build
software.

>Whilst they need to understand the IT context they have no need to >understand
>any IT specifics.

Sorry but I can't really accept this.  I think you'll find BAs come from a
variety of backgrounds but I'd be surprised if any are much good if they don't
know much about software engineering (formerly or informally gained): that's
what they do.  This involves far more than an understanding of "IT context".

Surely the best training for a BA would be in software engineering/system
analysis or whatever you want to call it.

Pete

Perhaps