[austechwriter] Re: Annotating documents and making them \'attractive\'

Dear Cathy (Morison),

One of my favourite Word tricks for making a graphic size properly when it
imports and links is to make a single cell / column / row table, place your
cursor into that and Insert > Picture > from file.

The picture resizes to fit the cell, the page and the margins in a consistent
manner and this works for portrait and landscape pages.

I also usually create a figure heading style, which I pick up in a TOC field (I
do a separate TOC for Contents, Tables and Figures).

Here\'s some sample TOC codes:

Contents TOC: {TOC \\O \"1-4\" \\H \\Z}
Tables TOC: {TOC \\H \\Z \\T \"TABLEHEAD1,1\" \\* MERGEFORMAT}
Figures TOC: {TOC \\H \\Z \\T \"FIGUREHEAD,1\" \\* MERGEFORMAT}

I also usually create (record and edit) a macro for making my figure table cell
and heading, ready for input (which operates ergonomically by resting three
fingers on the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys and pressing F) which goes like this:

Sub MakeFigure()
\'
\' MakeFigure Macro
\' Macro recorded 15/7/2003 by Michael Granat
\'
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles(\"Spacer\")
    Selection.TypeParagraph
    Selection.TypeParagraph
    Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles(\"BodyCopy\")
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles(\"BodyCopyMid\")
    Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
    Selection.ConvertToTable Separator:=wdSeparateByParagraphs, NumColumns:=1, _
         NumRows:=1, Format:=wdTableFormatNone, ApplyBorders:=True,
ApplyShading
_
        :=True, ApplyFont:=True, ApplyColor:=True, ApplyHeadingRows:=True, _
        ApplyLastRow:=False, ApplyFirstColumn:=True, ApplyLastColumn:=False, _
        AutoFit:=True, AutoFitBehavior:=wdAutoFitFixed
    Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
    Selection.TypeParagraph
    Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles(\"Figurehead\")
    Selection.TypeText Text:=\"Figure \"
    Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:= _
        \"seq figurenumber\", PreserveFormatting:=True
    Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdWord, Count:=1
    Selection.TypeBackspace
    Selection.TypeText Text:=\" \"
    Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine
    Selection.TypeText Text:=\" ? PictureName\"
    Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdWord, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
End Sub

You\'ll need to create the appropriate styles first for the above to work.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas