[austechwriter] Annotating documents and making them 'attractive'

  • From: <Cathy.Morison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:26:04 +1000

This is probably an old issue, but I occasionally find I am 'just a bit'
disappointed with the overall final look of my documents (mainly the
User Guides where it is an advantage to be pleasing to the eye).

The document I am currently finalising, a 100pp user guide, has lots of
screen shots of varying sizes and lots of 'notes'.  I have tried (for
the first time) to use a graphical 'mascot' for presenting these notes.
I have tried various ways in other documents, but haven't ever been 100%
happy with the look of these 'notes'.

Does anyone have a method they are happy with, or have seen used
effectively somewhere?

Also, how do you deal with varying sizes of screenshots, some of which
have been reduced in size to fit on a normal portrait page?  If they are
centred, should they be centred with the text (which is indented about
1.5cm) or with the level 1 and 2 headings (full width)?  The larger
graphics really need to be wider than the page.  Should I bite the
bullet and remove these to a landscape page?

Any clues?

Cathy Morison
Technical Writer
Database Development, PMD