[audubon-news] Great Backyard Bird Count Initial Results are in

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:04:18 -0500

Contact: John Bianchi
jbianchi@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jbianchi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
212/979-3026

50,000 GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT CHECKLISTS SHOW BIRD WHEREABOUTS ACROSS NORTH
AMERICA

Now, Participants Encouraged to "eBird" Year Round

Ithaca, NY & New York, NY, April 2, 2003 - Bird enthusiasts across North
America submitted almost 50,000 checklists totaling more than four million
birds during the Great Backyard Bird Count, February 14 through 17, 2003.  The
event, one of the largest citizen-science projects in the world, documented a
regional decline of at least one bird species that may be the result of West
Nile virus in those regions.

The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC), developed and maintained by the Cornell
Lab of Ornithology and the National Audubon Society, with sponsorship from Wild
Birds Unlimited, asked people across the U.S. and Canada to watch birds in
their backyard, local park, or other locale, and to submit their sightings to
www.birdsource.org/gbbc <http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc>.  The online aspect of
the count means birders quickly see how their results complement the
continent-wide picture.  Now, Cornell and Audubon offer these participants the
ability to record sightings throughout the year with the launch of eBird.

This year's GBBC documented the whereabouts of 512 species, one of which showed
declines in some areas compared to previous years.  American Crows were
reported in alarmingly fewer numbers in Illinois and Ohio, where West Nile
virus has had a strong presence. "This decrease may or may not be related to
West Nile, but the situation is certainly something we need to pay attention
to," says John Fitzpatrick, director of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Crows
seem to be particularly vulnerable to the virus.

Other species showed increases this year. GBBC participants in the eastern U.S.
counted more Dark-eyed Juncos than they had since 2000, perhaps because a
massive snowstorm hit the eastern seaboard during the weekend of the count,
driving birds to feeders in high numbers.  That same snowstorm apparently held
early migrants like Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, and American
Woodcock farther south, compared to previous years.

In the West, Mountain Bluebirds were reported farther south than last year, and
all of the rosy finches (Black, Gray-crowned, Brown-capped) were documented
farther north.  In previous years, GBBC maps of Eurasian Collared-Dove, a
species introduced in the Bahamas before reaching Florida, showed the species
spreading quickly northwestward. This year, the maps show no change, suggesting
a slow down in the rate at which the bird's range is spreading.

The GBBC was developed to help monitor the abundance and distribution of birds
in late winter, helping researchers spot alarming trends before situations
become critical.  "As we see rapid changes in our environment, like the spread
of West Nile virus and shifts in species' ranges, bird monitoring projects such
as the Great Backyard Bird Count become increasingly important," says Frank
Gill, Audubon's vice president for science. "We hope that the tens of thousands
of people who participated in the Great Backyard Bird Count will begin
submitting their observations to our latest online monitoring tool, eBird."

eBird, www.birdsource.org/ebird <http://www.birdsource.org/ebird> , lets
birders submit their sightings over the Internet to a vast database anytime,
anywhere. They can create their own pull-down menu of their favorite birding
locales by plotting their location on a map. They can also choose from the list
of birding hot spots already created for each state and province. Their reports
are pooled for access in any number of ways. They can look at their own reports
for a given location, or on at certain date. They can sort by species. They can
even view sightings made by other birders while their own data are made
accessible to others. "eBird is a dream come true," says Fitzpatrick. "There's
nothing else out there that lets you input your bird sightings and manage them
the way you want to, while at the same time making them available to
scientists, conservationists, educators-anyone with an Internet connection.  I
enter my own reports daily-I'm hooked."

"For years, my bird records have been piling up on shelves, in accessible to
anyone but myself.  With eBird, those sightings become a powerful tool for
science and conservation," says Gill. He adds that birders can even enter their
records dating back years, even decades. "It's a great feeling to get those
data off the shelf and into the hands, so to speak, of people that can use
them."

Birders are invited to try eBird right away, and to view results of the Great
Backyard Bird Count. Top ten lists of all sorts are available at the web site,
as are maps of every species reported. Results from previous years are also
available.

Next year's Great Backyard Bird Count will take place February 13 - 16, 2004.
For more information on the Great Backyard Bird Count and eBird, write the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, 159 Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, NY 14850 or the
National Audubon Society Science Office, 545 Almshouse Road, Ivyland, PA, 18974.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is a membership institution interpreting and
conserving the earth's biological diversity through research, education, and
citizen science focused on birds.

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat
that supports them.  Our national network of community-based nature centers and
chapters, scientific and educational programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas
sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people of all ages
and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.

#   #   #

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
//www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.