[audubon-news] Carol Browner Elected to Chair the Audubon Board

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:04:14 -0400

Contact: John Bianchi

Carol Browner elected National Audubon Society CHAIR

Former Head of the Environmental Protection Agency Is First
Woman to Lead Audubon Board

New York, NY, June 26, 2003 - Carol M. Browner, the longest serving
administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, has been elected chair of
the National Audubon Society Board of Directors.  Browner will be the first
woman to chair Audubon, and is one of few women to hold such a position at a
major conservation organization.

"It is truly a privilege to help lead such a distinguished organization,"
Browner said at the announcement of her election.  "Audubon has been at the
forefront of environmental issues since the turn of the century when two
determined women founded the first Audubon Chapter.  Today, it is again leading
the way, educating a whole new generation of Americans about the need to
protect bird and wildlife habitat and to fight for clean water and clean air."

Browner will replace Donal C. O'Brien when he retires this fall after having
served 12 years as Audubon Chair.  Browner joined the Audubon Board in 2001 and
currently oversees its Public Policy Committee.

Browner served as EPA Administrator from 1993 to 2001.  Throughout her tenure
at the EPA, Browner was guided by the philosophy that safeguarding the
environment meant protecting where people live and how they live.  She
partnered with business leaders, community advocates, and all levels of
government to promote common sense, cost-effective solutions to the nation's
most pressing environmental and public health problems.

Browner's efforts to protect and restore our environment range from the health
of our children to wildlife habitats.  Some of her many accomplishments include
the strongest public health based clean air standards ever for soot and smog;
tough new emission standards for cars, SUVs, diesel trucks, and buses; greatly
expanded public right-to-know efforts; as well as significantly increased
funding and strengthened standards for clean water and polluted runoff.

She accelerated the clean-up of hazardous waste sites, which resulted in more
than three times the number of Superfund clean-ups than in the entire history
of the program; she created the successful Brownfields program to reclaim and
redevelop abandoned, contaminated urban properties; and she worked closely with
Congress to pass two pivotal environmental laws -- the landmark Food Quality
Protection Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act.  Browner also created the EPA's
first Office of Children's Health Protection; the new Office of Environmental
Information, the American Indian Environmental Office, the National
Environmental Justice Advisory Council, and the Office of Reinvention.

"Carol Browner is one of the outstanding conservationists of our time," said
Audubon President John Flicker.  "Again and again she has led the way in
fighting to protect America's great natural heritage."

"I grew up near the Everglades, where I learned to love birds and wildlife,"
Browner said.  "I developed a passion for protecting this incredible natural
resource and very early on learned of Audubon's many decades of experience in
fighting for Everglades conservation.  In a sense, I feel I have come full
circle and look forward to helping lead this organization as it addresses the
many environmental challenges of the 21st century."  Browner's history of
working with community and grass roots leaders will strengthen Audubon's
Chapter and volunteer efforts, while building new constituencies

In the year 2000, Audubon announced a major new initiative, called the "2020
Vision," designed to significantly expand the number of people engaged in
conservation activities.  Key to the program is the building of a network of
Audubon nature centers in cities and towns throughout the U.S., many in
underprivileged areas.

"Carol will chair Audubon at a very important time in its history as it pursues
a new vision to enlarge the conservation movement across the country," Flicker
continued.  "In taking up the standard from Donal O'Brien, who was instrumental
in launching this vitally important initiative, Carol will help guide us as we
seek to engage people of all ages and backgrounds in positive conservation

The National Audubon Society is one of the oldest and most respected
conservation organizations in the United States.  Founded in 1905 and
headquartered in New York City, it has more than 500,000 members and volunteer
activists, 500 Chapters, and offices in 27 states.  Its staff in Washington, DC
is noted for its environmental policy work.  The organization's science group
manages hundreds of bird and habitat conservation programs in the U.S. and
Latin America.

"I am particularly attracted to Audubon because of its commitment to expand
conservation constituencies across the country and engage diverse communities.
Audubon is working hard to change the face of conservation to reflect the
diverse face of America," she said.

Prior to leading the EPA, she was head of the Department of Environmental
Regulation in Florida. Browner had also served on the staffs of Senators Albert
Gore, Jr. and Lawton Chiles.  She is currently a principle at The Albright
Group, global strategy firm, and is a senior fellow at the Aspen Institute's
Program on Energy, the Environment and the Economy.

Browner was the recipient of the American Lung Association's prestigious
President's Award in 2000.  She has also been honored with the Mother of the
Year Award from the National Mother's Day Committee, the Advocate for Children
Award from the Ambulatory Pediatric Association, and Glamour magazine's Woman
of the Year honor. In 1998, Audubon of Florida gave Ms. Browner the Guy M.
Bradley Lifetime Achievement Award for her work on restoration of the

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat
that supports them.  Our national network of community-based nature centers and
chapters, scientific and educational programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas
sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people of all ages
and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.

#   #   #

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,