[audubon-news] BOB PERCIASEPE STATEMENT ON THE NATIONAL FOREST ROADLESS CONSERVATION ACT OF 2002

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: #Audubon Board of Directors <IMCEAEX-_O=AUDUBON_OU=NATIONAL_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=BoardOfDirectors@xxxxxxxxxxx>,#Audubon Staff <audstaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:47:13 -0400

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   N E W S  R E L E A S E

Contact: Cristine Romano
202/861-2242
cromano@xxxxxxxxxxx

BOB PERCIASEPE
SENIOR VP FOR PUBLIC POLICY
STATEMENT ON THE NATIONAL FOREST
ROADLESS CONSERVATION ACT OF 2002
JULY 25, 2002

An overwhelming majority of the American people has called for the
protection of our nation's last remaining roadless forests.  Millions
participated in the creation of the roadless forest protection rule now
under direct assault by the Bush Administration.

Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) is fighting the Bush Administration's effort
to gut the roadless rule by introducing the National Forest Roadless Area
Conservation Act.  This bill would put into law protections from road
building, mining, logging, and oil and gas drilling.

Senator Cantwell's leadership comes at a critical time for our pristine
roadless forests.  The Bush Administration is attacking the roadless rule
with underhanded legal and administrative maneuvers.  Audubon thanks Senator
Cantwell for standing tall to protect our pristine roadless forest areas.

#   #   #