[audubon-news] Audubon Turns 100

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:08:32 -0500

Contact: Linda Vanderveer
212/979-3197
lvanderveer@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lvanderveer@xxxxxxxxxxx>

AUDUBON TURNS 100!

January 5, 2005 Marks the Beginning of National Audubon Society's Centennial
Year

New York, NY, Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - The National Audubon Society, the
nation's largest bird conservation organization, is turning 100 today.  Audubon
will celebrate its centennial throughout the year with events across the
country, including both annual activities like the Great Backyard Bird Count
(Feb. 18-21, 2005), and new, special centennial events.

"A full century after its foundation, Audubon remains the nation's leading bird
conservation organization," stated John Flicker, president of National Audubon
Society.  "From our landmark 'State of the Birds' report issued in October
2004, to the recent battle to restore the nest site of legendary Red-tailed
Hawk Pale Male, Audubon's work today is as relevant and critical to bird
conservation as it was 100 years ago.  We will be here through the next 100
years to give voice to those same founding values and principles."

Picture the year of Audubon's founding, 1905; Theodore Roosevelt was President,
milk cost about 10 cents a gallon, and Albert Einstein published his Theory of
Relativity.  In the world of high fashion, ladies donned hats adorned with
heron and egret plumes, and many even wore elaborate millinery creations
containing entire bird bodies.

several local Audubon Societies agreed to take aggressive action and form a
united front to protect birds and their habitat throughout the nation.  On
January 5, 1905 they officially incorporated to form the National Association
of Audubon Societies for the Protection of Wild Birds and Animals, later
shortened to the National Audubon Society.

During its first several years, the fledgling Audubon organization racked up an
impressive list of accomplishments, including passage of the Audubon Plumage
Law (1910), the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (1913), and establishment of its
first two bird sanctuaries (1924): the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary near the
president's former home in Oyster Bay, New York, and the Paul J. Rainey
Sanctuary in coastal Louisiana.

"Our heritage at Audubon has always been to connect people with nature,"
continued Flicker.  "From our earliest days our chapters, staff, and grassroots
volunteers have worked to help people make the connection between the health of
bird populations, and the health of human populations.  Declines in bird
populations are often early warning signals of threats to other species,
including people."

Audubon continues to take up the torch for avian conservation, monitoring bird
populations and sounding alarm bells about hazards like DDT, fighting for clean
air and water, and providing environmental education to Americans through
Audubon magazine, Audubon chapters, and our network of nature centers.

Audubon is celebrating its centennial year of protecting birds and other
wildlife and the habitat that supports them.  Our national network of
community-based nature centers and chapters, scientific and educational
programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas sustaining important bird
populations, engage millions of people of all ages and backgrounds in positive
conservation experiences.
#   #   #

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
http://www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.