[audubon-news] Audubon News

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:11:18 -0500

Dear News Subscribers -

This week we're trying something a little different: a listing of short
newsbriefs which you may find useful.
Each of them has weblinks or contacts which will provide you with more
information on stories of interest.

Thank you for your continued interest in Audubon stories.

Sincerely

John Bianchi
212/979-3026

Audubon Newswire
Volume 2, Number 4
March 3, 2004

In this issue:
-- Carol Browner Op-ed on "isolated" wetlands featured in San Francisco
Chronicle
-- Book on California IBAs by Dan Cooper Published by Audubon
-- "Chicken Soup for the Nature Lover's Soul" Features Foreword by John Flicker
-- San Diego Audubon Society Joins Suit to Prevent Destructive Border Fence Plan
-- Audubon Magazine Reports on the Toll Windows Take on America's Birds
-- New Bird Observatory Opens at Audubon's Starr Ranch Sanctuary
-- Darryl Brown Joins Audubon as Vice President and Director of Development
Carol Browner Opinion Piece on Protecting So-called "Isolated" Wetlands
Is Featured in San Francisco Chronicle's Open Forum

San Francisco, CA, Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - Audubon Chair Carol Browner has
penned a piece that was featured last week in the San Francisco Chronicle's
Open Forum, the paper's opinion section.

"In December, in response to public outcry, President Bush announced he would
drop a proposal to exempt many wetlands from federal protection," Browner
wrote.  "This announcement gave the impression to many that the administration
would in fact continue to protect these wetlands.  Unfortunately, this is not
the case -- the administration left standing an Environmental Protection Agency
'guidance' which directs its field offices not to enforce long-standing rules
to protect key wetlands."

You can view the entire op-ed at the Chronicle's website:
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/25/EDG3B56O7I1.DTL>

Audubon Publishes Important Bird Areas of California by Dan Cooper:
Guide Identifies 150 California Sites That Are Critical to Birds

Pasadena, CA, Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - Audubon California is pleased to
announce the release of Important Bird Areas of California, the culmination of
a three-year effort to identify and describe key areas around the state that
are most important to birds.  This landmark, 300-page publication focuses on
nearly 150 Important Bird Areas (IBAs) throughout the state.  "By distributing
this book widely, we hope to raise awareness about all of California's IBAs,"
said Dan Cooper, Director of Bird Conservation for Audubon California and
author of the book.  "In particular we want to emphasize the more threatened
sites - places that may be lost forever to birds and other wildlife unless
immediate conservation action is taken."

Important Bird Areas of California is currently available through Audubon
California for $19.99 + $5.00 shipping and handling.  Bulk rates are available.
 A limited number of books are also available for purchase at the Audubon
Center in Debs Park.  For more information, visit: www.audubon.org
<http://www.audubon.org> .
'Chicken Soup for the Nature Lover's Soul' Features Foreword by John Flicker

New York, NY, Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - "Chicken Soup for the Nature Lover's
Soul: Inspiring Stories of Joy, Insight, and Adventure in the Great Outdoors",
the latest in the popular series of books which have sold millions of copies
worldwide, hits bookstores this month featuring a foreword by National Audubon
Society President John Flicker.  The volume is a collection of stories that
explore our essential connection with nature, and invite readers to get
outdoors and savor the natural world, written and compiled by New York Times
best-selling authors Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Steve Zikman.

Stories in this volume celebrate the power of nature to renew and heal.  They
also reveal and explore the oft-forgotten connection humans have with the wild.
 In his foreword, Flicker discusses the reasons for this bond.  "Each of us is
made up of the same particles as the rest of this Earth," he writes.  "There is
something in each of us that longs to be connected back to nature.  As a
conservationist, I believe that I am a better person if I spend time outdoors
enjoying nature.  It is an essential part of my spiritual diet.  And like other
human instincts we don't fully understand, I believe this longing is connected
to our survival."

"Chicken Soup for the Nature Lover's Soul" is available at local bookstores.
To order directly, call Health Communications, Inc. (HCI) at 800-441-5569.
San Diego Audubon Society Joins Coalition in Suit to Prevent the
Construction of Destructive Triple Fence Across the U.S.-Mexico Border

San Diego, CA, Tuesday, March 2, 2004 - The San Diego Audubon Society - a
Chapter of National Audubon - in coalition with six environmental groups, filed
suit against a plan to build a triple fence along 14 miles of the U.S.- Mexico
border.  The suit alleges that a U.S. Customs/Border Patrol Environmental
Impact Statement supporting the plan is inadequate and violates the National
Environmental Protection Act (NEPA).  In addition, the California Coastal
Commission, on February 18, voted 10 to 0 that part of the project, as
designed, is not consistent with the California Coastal Act.

The fence system, an expansion of an existing single fence with several gaps,
is designed to stop illegal entry into the United States.  The project has
already been built in less sensitive areas to the east, but the proposed
construction (from the ocean to the San Ysidro border crossing) will have the
worst environmental impact.

For many years the Chapter and a growing group of organizations, elected
officials, and agencies have been trying to work with the Border Patrol to
redesign the project in the most sensitive areas to minimize impacts and still
achieve the project's mission.  Despite these good faith efforts, the suit
filed on environmental impacts, a possible suit from the Coastal Commission,
and other environmental and regulatory conflicts, there are indications that
the Customs/Border Patrol agency may attempt to continue with the current
design.  For more information contact Jim Peugh, Conservation Committee Chair,
San Diego Audubon Society, peugh@xxxxxxx <mailto:peugh@xxxxxxx>.
Birds Vs. Windows: a Clear and Present Danger - Audubon Magazine's March 2004
Issue Reports on the Terrible Toll Windows Take on America's Bird Life

New York, NY, Tuesday, March 2, 2004 - Everyone loves a room with a view -
unless they happen to be a bird.  Scientists have gathered an increasing amount
of proof that collisions with glass windows account for several million-bird
deaths annually.  After several decades, biologists, builders, and architects
are finally doing something about one of the leading causes of bird mortality.

As David Malakoff reports in Clear and Present Danger, they're joining together
to come up with ideas that fix the problem, to help both people - and birds;
photography by Robert McCaw.  For more information on the March Audubon, visit
www.audubon.org <http://www.audubon.org> .
New Bird Observatory Opens at Audubon's Starr Ranch Sanctuary

Trabuco Canyon, CA, Monday, March 1, 2004 - Audubon California's Starr Ranch
Sanctuary announces the opening of an Audubon-operated bird observatory, Starr
Ranch Bird Observatory (SRBO) www.starr-ranch.org/srbo.htm
<http://www.starr-ranch.org/srbo.htm>.  SRBO is the newest program area of
Starr Ranch's Field Ecology Programs - educational activities that use the
tools and techniques of ecological research to inspire a love of nature.

The SRBO focuses on bird research in southern California.  It is dedicated to
providing science-based educational programs, stimulating interest in birds and
habitat conservation through scientific research.  It conducts monitoring
programs that meet local bird conservation needs, and participates in larger
efforts, like California Partners in Flight, and the Institute for Bird
Population's nationwide Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship (MAPS)
program.

Starr Ranch Bird Observatory is now the sixth bird observatory in the state,
and the only one in coastal southern California.  To learn more, to sign up for
programs, or to volunteer, visit <http://www.starr-ranch.org> or contact Gail
Hall, ghall@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ghall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Darryl Brown Joins Audubon as Vice President and Director of Development
Based in New York, Will Oversee that Location's Development Efforts

New York, NY, Monday, March 1, 2004 - The National Audubon Society has named
Darryl C. Brown Vice President and Director of Development, it was announced
today.  Brown, who has an impressive record as a development officer for top
not-for-profits, reports directly to Chief Development Officer Judy Smith.
Among his responsibilities, Brown will oversee the day-to-day operations of
Audubon's New York development staff of nearly 50 professionals.  He begins his
new duties immediately.

"I am very pleased to announce Darryl's arrival at Audubon," said Judy Smith.
"We're excited to have someone with his experience and energy to head up our
New York City team's efforts; we warmly welcome him to the Audubon family."

Brown began his career in philanthropy in 1978 when he joined the staff of the
National Endowment for the Arts in Washington, DC.  He has also served in key
development positions at The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York University's
Stern School of Business, and the University of Oxford, and as a consultant.
To read more, please visit
<http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/Darryl_Brown.html#TopOfPage> .

-- 30 --

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
http://www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.