[audubon-news] AUDUBON PRESIDENTCOMMENTS ON PEW OCEANS COMMISSION REPORT

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:07:43 -0400

Contact: John Bianchi
jbianchi@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jbianchi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
212/979-3026

AUDUBON PRESIDENT JOHN FLICKER COMMENTS ON
RELEASE OF PEW OCEANS COMMISSION REPORT

Calls Report a 'Portrait of a System on the Verge of Collapse'

New York, NY, June 4, 2003 - National Audubon Society President John Flicker
commented on America's Living Oceans: Charting a Course for Sea Change, a
report released today by the Pew Oceans Commission.  This report, the first of
its kind issued in more than 30 years, is a comprehensive national examination
of the state of our oceans and coastal areas.

"Today's release of the Pew Oceans Commission report should serve as a real
wake-up call to all Americans that our oceans and coastal areas are in real
trouble," said Flicker.  "This report's findings are an alarm bell giving
warning of oceans, fisheries, and marine life in decline, and they provide a
disturbing portrait of a system on the verge of collapse."

The comprehensive report from the independent Pew Oceans Commission outlines
threats to our oceans and coastal ecosystems, and recommends effective action
that will protect the ecosystems at risk.  The harmful effects of the sprawl,
runoff pollution, coastal and river habitat loss, and destructive fishing
practices are carefully documented.  The report also examines how remedial
actions by lawmakers and federal agencies have too often been uncoordinated and
have operated frequently at cross-purposes.

The report, written by the 18-member Oceans Commission chaired by Leon Panetta,
presents an overview of the problems our marine ecosystems face, but also
details the losses in coastal and river habitat, fishery vitality, wetland
health, and economic value.  Importantly, the Commission makes recommendations
for clear action that can provide real solutions to protect our great natural
heritage and improve the quality of our coasts and oceans, and the businesses,
birds, and wildlife that depend upon them for a living.

"The Pew Report should debunk the notion that the ocean is a vast and limitless
resource that exists independently of the land on which we live," Flicker
continued.  "This report eloquently reminds us that the actions we take on land
have a significant and lasting effect on the ocean.  It is a clarion call: our
lawmakers, citizens, federal agencies, and the administration, need to read it
and act."

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat
that supports them.  Our national network of community-based nature centers and
chapters, scientific and educational programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas
sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people of all ages
and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.

#   #   #

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
http://www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.