[audubon-news] Re: AUDUBON CEO JOHN FLICKER STATEMENT ON SENATE ARCTIC REFUGE VOTE

  • From: "Lynn Tennefoss" <ltennefoss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, chapter-communicator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:47:26 -0500

Contact: Perry Plumart
pplumart@xxxxxxxxxxx
202/861-2242

AUDUBON CEO JOHN FLICKER STATEMENT ON
SENATE ARCTIC REFUGE VOTE

New York, NY, March 19, 2003 ? ?This vote today rejected the backdoor
attempt to use the budget process to drill in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge.  It is a victory for millions of migratory birds,
caribou, and the vision of preserving this great wilderness.

?I hope this vote moves the debate forward to how we can provide
America with an energy policy that provides real energy security and
real solutions to America?s oil dependence.  Scientists estimate that
raising the fuel economy of cars and light trucks by about one mile
per gallon saves more oil than can be found in the Arctic Refuge.

?This vote affirms the will of the American people who strongly oppose
oil production in the Arctic.  They know desecrating a national
treasure will do nothing to reduce our reliance on foreign oil.

?The coastal plain of the Arctic Refuge has extraordinary value as an
intact ecosystem.  Approximately 180 bird species have been recorded
in the Arctic Refuge.  Oil development in the coastal plain would harm
this habitat for migratory birds and other wildlife.

?Audubon thanks the Senators who voted to protect the Arctic Refuge.?

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the
habitat that supports them.  Our national network of community-based
nature centers and chapters, scientific and educational programs, and
advocacy on behalf of areas sustaining important bird populations,
engage millions of people of all ages and backgrounds in positive
conservation experiences.

#   #   #

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
//www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.