[audubon-news] ARCTIC VICTORY - AUDUBON STATEMENT

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:46:31 -0400

Contact: John Bianchi
212/979-3026
jbianchi@xxxxxxxxxxx

AUDUBON PRESIDENT JOHN FLICKER
STATEMENT ON ARCTIC VOTE IN THE US SENATE

Washington DC, April 18, 2002 -- This vote to protect the Arctic is the
drill bit in the coffin for drilling in the Arctic Refuge.  This is a
tremendous victory for the American people.  We have won an epic battle to
protect one of the country's last truly wild places.  I applaud the U.S.
Senate for standing up to the pro-oil drilling special interests and doing
the right thing on behalf of wildlife and conservation.

This is one of the most important votes cast on the environment this
Congress.  Every crisis and excuse imaginable was used as a reason to drill
the Arctic Refuge.  Common sense prevailed and the summer home of millions
of migratory birds will be there for them in the years to come.

Not every American can go to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  But we
can all go there spiritually as we often do with America's other great
places, the Everglades, California redwood country, and the Grand Canyon.

#  #  #