[audacity4blind] Levelling out odd volume level changes

  • From: Jacob Kruger <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 07:25:46 +0200

While my primary work machine is a lenovo w52 laptop, with a conexant internal microphone - unfortunately, it's only 3.5mm audio jack is one of those combined ones, and none of my headphones with built in microphones seem compatible with it - even the primary vocal recording headset which has an adapter to combine the two leads into one.

So, while I don't generally even try use this machine for actual audio recording, there are times when I want to quickly record something, or play around with effects, etc., etc., and, the issue was that it seemed to be fluctuating recording volume levels up and down during a recording so that, for example, if I counted from 1 to 30, going up to roundabout 30 seconds, it would drop off after 8-10 seconds, then up volume level again after roundabout another 8 seconds, drop it off again, etc. etc.

Seems like if I disable a setting under the sound card settings, recording device, advanced, called audio enhancement, then this fluctuation then goes away, but, I was still trying to figure out how to get audacity to help me level out volume levels across a track like this, but, while I thought normalise was the effect to work with, it didn't seem to handle it very effectively.

So, unless I was trying to use the completely wrong effect, just wondering if there was something specific I should have tried in any case?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line