[askdba] solution needed

  • From: "Soumya K. Mishra" <skmishra@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:43:28 +0530

Q1) Below given is a simple table with Customer_id and Book_Name as 2
fields. Analyzing the book name we can see that every third book is a
book on database technology. I want to design a query to retrieve the
1st record, the 4th ,the 7th and the 10th.
And generalize it to n no of rows i.e retrieve every nth record. Please
suggest solution.

Customer_id

Book_Name

001

Mastering oracle sql

002

Microbiology for beginners

003

Algebra by Hall n Night

004

Inside of SQL Server

005

Economics by M.L Seth

006

Modern India History

007

DB2 for programmers

008

Universe in a Nutshell Stephen Hawking

009

Mutation by Robin Cook

010

Oracle 9i database administration fundamentals 1

Q2) I was asked in an interview a proposed solution for the following
problem:

Interviewer: The order management department manager faces the following
problem in the subsequent module of SAP ERP package-

Each time he makes an update of the latest order, it takes quite a lot
time to be reflected in the different module of that ERP solution. What
is that as a DBA you can check for it?

I need to know in which field the DBA should put his concentration:

Application programming: should go for the tuning of the queries, procs,
indexes, packages that the ERP application uses.

Core DBA: should he go for managing the data dictionary, the buffer
cache , the table spaces for the user etc.

System Administration: should he suggest for configuring the controller
set up?

     Ex: change the RAID set up from 15 to 01...

Thanks

Soumya Mishra.