[askdba] Re: [dba_gurus] index

  • From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul Jayita <jayita_p@xxxxxxxxx>, dba_gurus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:59:42 -0700 (PDT)

easy way to check that is the index is used or not ,, Use EXPLAIN  on the query
and find out, If you would like to forced the query to use an index  use  HINT,
 Explain can also help you answer the  peroformance issue, because its a
complex to answer with the facts like load on the machine, peroformance of your
disks drives, load on the system and amount of data, quality of your sql
statments, database design.
Good Luck.
Nisar Tareen
Paul Jayita <jayita_p@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
i've a doubt regarding composite index.
suppose, i 've a composite index on emp table based on column empno, ename and
if in my query, i use only empno and status in the where clause , then what 'll
1) wheather it will use the index or not?
2)what about performance?

and any idea about B Tree and B* tree and what is their difference ?
and when to use ?

Thanks in advance

Do You Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links