[askdba] Re: [dba_gurus] How to find the OS Storage type?

  • From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle_champions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dba_gurus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:23:04 -0700 (PDT)

Thaigu,

IBM RS 6000   ====        IBM Hardware  CPU  machine .

IBM  AIX         ====        Operating system

EMC              ====        Storage   Device.  ( IBM has its own storage units
) .

Use the current initsid.ora  and   convert one  initsid.ora   to  spfile in the
test environmnet and when you feel confident than apply this to  production and
ohter environment.

You won't lost any thing at this stage by using  initsid.ora     spfile,  Scope
 option help you to update the  memory and the  file in one go else you have to
do it in manually.

If you change the compatible parameter  there is a change that some thing might
not work, so do in test and then in production.

NT.

Thiagoo <thiagoodba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sunil,

Thanks for the info. It was useful.

I've got into an urgent position where somebody left for Asia/Hongkong for some
urgent issues and am handling prod support with just 1 hour of handover..and
inventing many things for myself in a new organization.

 I'm not sure whether my question was phrased properly. What OS storage type
did you use for your DB? This is one of the questions which I didnt have much
idea.

The output of your script shows :-

PORT                                 O/S            VERSION
IBM AIX64/RS6000 V4 IBM AIX64/RS6000 V4                8.1.0

IBM AIX , it's OK. I have heard about EMC storage, similarly is RS6000, is this
the storage type? I read somewhere lsconfig will tell this.info..but am not
able to get any output for this.

2. In some of the Oracle 9i databases, the compatible parameter was set to
8.1.7 and still we use initsid.ora instead of pfile. I've faced some interview
questions like what's the advantage of pfile over init.ora, I answered , pfile
is in a binary form stored in the DB, we can define the scope, few dynamic
parameters we can change and no need to re-start the instance for few
parameters..I wanted to tell very important points as I hardly get few seconds
to answer these. I want to write out all Q/A for few standard interview
questions.

I didnt find any attachment, can u pls re-send that to me, I got some documents
from metalink also.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Thiagu

Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everybody,

Try this :-

DECLARE
PORT VARCHAR2(200);
A VARCHAR2(200);
B VARCHAR2(200);
C VARCHAR2(200);
BEGIN
PORT:= DBMS_UTILITY.PORT_STRING;
A:=PORT;
B:=SUBSTR(PORT,1,INSTR(PORT,'-')-1);
C:=SUBSTR(PORT,INSTR(PORT,'-')+1);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(RPAD('PORT',20,' ')||LPAD('O/S',20,' ')||LPAD('VERSION
',20,' '));
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(RPAD(A,20,' ')||LPAD(B,20,' ')||LPAD(C,20,' '));
END;
/

2) i think you did some typo. The things are SPFILE and pfile...
Please find the attached file for SPFILE description

Regards,

QUERIES in Oracle, Feel free to Join:

Regards,

Sunil Bhola

Oracle_Expert, Moderator

Thiagoo <thiagoodba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HI,

1.How can I find the OS storage type? Which command should I execute to find
this?

Mine is Oracle 8.1.7 and 9.2.0.4
OS :- AIX 5.1

2.What's the advantage of pfile over init.ora?

PS:- If somebody is having hot/cold/RMAN backup/restore scripts, pls forward
the same to me.

-TIA,
Thiagu

Technical support outsourcing Online technical support Technical support
Computer technical support Database administrator Technical support software

Technical support outsourcing Online technical support Technical support
Computer technical support Database administrator Technical support software

Thanks & Best Regards,

Thiagu

http://mail.yahoo.com

Yahoo! for Good