[askdba] Re: Upgrade question

  • From: Rick_Cale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:39:49 -0500

Joe,

I was highly suggest finding downtime and do as Ganesh suggest.  I will
guarantee you will save time in the long run.

Rick Cale
Database Administrator
Team Health, Inc.
865-293-5425
Rick_Cale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Joe Zitnik"

                      <JZitnik@xxxxxxxx        To:       <askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      >                        cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [askdba] Upgrade
question
                      askdba-bounce@fre

                      elists.org

                      11/11/2004 10:05

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      askdba

Gurus,
We're about to migrate from Oracle 8i to Oracle 9i.  We don't have a
very large window of down time.  So we dump the data out of Oracle 8i.
While we are importing the data in to our Oracle 9i database, is there
any way we could continue using our 8i database, and then roll the
changes that occur in the 8i database while we are performing the data
import in to the 9i database.  I guess what I am asking is: is there
some way to roll 8i archivelogs in to a 9i database, or an equivalent
process?  I am confused just reading my own question, but if anyone
understands, I'd appreciate it.