[askdba] Strange behavior

  • From: Regis Biassala <Regis.Biassala@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:01:25 +0100

I've tested this against: oracle8i,9i,10g and MSSQL 2000, it is behaving
exactly the same...
I came across this while debugging an installation scripts...
See test below:

SQL> create table parent (id int not null primary key);

Table created.

SQL> create table child(parentid int);

Table created.

SQL> alter table child add constraint fk_constraint_1 foreign key(parentid)
  2  references parent(id);

Table altered.

SQL> alter table child add constraint fk_constraint_2 foreign key(parentid)
  2  references parent(id);
alter table child add constraint fk_constraint_2 foreign key(parentid)
                                                 *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02275: such a referential constraint already exists in the table

SQL>
SQL>
SQL> drop table child;

Table dropped.

SQL> create table child
  2  (parentid int,
  3  constraint fk_constraint_1  foreign key(parentid) references
parent(id),
  4  constraint fk_constraint_2 foreign key(parentid) references
parent(id));

Table created.

I wanted to share this with you, so be aware of this behavior.

Regis Biassala (DBA)
Direct: +353 1 8063613