[askdba] Re: Question in HOT BACKUP

  • From: PV Narayanan <PNarayanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:33:44 +0400

Hi Chirag,
Without your redo log files, you need to open your Database in resetlog
mode after a recovery.
Assume the recovery scenario wherein you have lost all your online redo
log files.
Best Regards
P.V.Narayanan

Chirag DBA <ChiragDBA@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: askdba-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/10/2004 12:40 PM
Please respond to
askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[askdba] Question in HOT BACKUP

Hi,

I just appeared in an interview.

When I was asked which filese I will copy for hot backup, I said redo too.

Cause I think they can help us always to recover database upto point of
time.

I was pulled a lot, but my only question that if not redo then how
will you recover yr DB upto point of failure, stopped the arguements.

M I true in this case? I have done expoerts in hot backups in
production database.

Can anyone clear my doubts? If u copy couple datafiles in hotback with
begin backup, n yr DB crashes... what will happen? Assume that an
archive log file is generated every 30 minutes and my DB crashed after
15 minutes of Last Archive file generated.

Can I go without REDO Log File ???

 - Chirag