[askdba] Re: Partition Tables

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:17:57 -0700

First, I assume we are talking about range-partitioned tables here, not
hash or list partitioned tables...

Do you have a standard naming convention for partitions in a range
partitioned table?  If so, you could get the partition name from
dba_tab_partitions by looking for the right partition_name.

In 9i, you can use the dbms_metadata package to extract the DDL for an
object and parse that DDL for the current partition.

If you do an explain plan on a query that would access current month
data, you could probably also extract the partition name from the
plan_table.

Justin Cave  <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC