[askdba] Re: Merging Databases

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:52:22 -0600

The basic option of creating separate schemas in a single database and
segregating the application data into its own schema will be orders of
magnitude less work than integrating the applications.  This will also
generally be possible while making little or no change to the
applications.  The problems you are likely to hit here are
- Public synonyms must be avoided, since there may be multiple
"customer" tables and you want to ensure that users aren't accidentally
referring to the wrong table.
- Since resources are shared, applications need to "play nice".  If one
application is allowed to use all the TEMP space, for example, it could
cause errors in other applications.  If one application generates enough
UNDO that it fills the UNDO tablespace in under undo_retention seconds,
other applications may get ORA-01555 errors.  You can mitigate this by
using Resource Manager to limit the load any one application generates
on the system.
- User management may take a bit of effort.  Each database may have a
user "bob" today that maps to a different human user, which would need
to be resolved.  If you have users that have been granted extensive
privileges, (i.e. anything with ANY TABLE), you probably want to lock
that down to ensure they don't now have access to all your schemas.
- Patches, backup, and recovery.  Once you go to a single database, all
the applications have to move to new versions of Oracle in unison.  They
also have to share the same backup & recovery strategy.  If these are
third-party applications, the vendors may impose mutually incompatible
versioning requirements (i.e. Vendor A says you must run on 8.1.7.4,
vendor B says it only supports 8.1.7.0 through 8.1.7.2, and vendor C
only certifies on 9.2).

Moving everything into a single database schema will be vastly more
work, but there may be significantly greater gains.  If you combine data
from different tables, you may be able to have a significantly richer
view of your customer data.  The downside will be that combining data
from similar tables in different schemas is hard, so it will take time
to identify all the nuances and get everything right.  It will also
probably require some significant changes to the applications, since you
will be changing the data they rely on.

Justin Cave  <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC