[askdba] Re: Database Clone error -- advice for an Oracle Newbie

  • From: Chirag DBA <chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:01:34 -0400

Well, well, well..., the whole mail didn answer my Question. But Please
read.
 We have a requirement of a SENIOR DBA, permanent position and I am taking
interviews.
 I am taking interview of guys having 10 -12 yrs experience guys and asking
125,000 salary.
 Believe me those are not 10,000 salary p.a. eligible guys. I am surprised
to know that 10 -12 yrs guys knows this which is quite less then a guy like
me having 3 yrs of experience.
 One of the lady having 9 yrs of experience working in an MNC, I asked her
what will be yr approach when user will come to you saying DB is slow,
operations getting hanged???
 She replied me, " I WILL RESTART THE DATABASE."
 Our previous DBA having 10 yrs of experience was taking COLDBACKUP of the
database (ON SOLARIS) with Database up and running. And management came to
know this when they were looking for serious recoveries. Management
immediately kicked him out and he found another job in 2 weeks as a DBA.
 One guy I asked how will you make sure that all yr transaction will log go
to the standby database. I mean how will you make all logs compulsory of the
user to keep the standby sync. He told me that he has created and setup the
Standby database with Dataguard.
 He said, " How can u do that...?, U cant expect the behaviour of User."
 I don wanna start a new thread here, or not pointing to anybody but just to
say that,
Yr knowledge depends on From which environment you came. I am in an
environment where I have to make all the setup here, while previously in
SUN, Everything was ready.
 NEWBIES will not remain the newbies for long.
 BTW, I have solved the problem and my DB is up and running now. I just
copied the redolog file to the location it is asking and changed the name to
the one it is asking ARC00047.001.
 But still curious to know that why it asking for the archive log file even
though my previous DB was in noarchive log mode. I used the cold backup with
redolog files.
 Regards -
 Chirag Majmundar
 A NEWBIE DBA...!!!

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile;
ORA-00279: change 2982738 generated at 09/18/2005 13:55:21 needed for thread
1
ORA-00289: suggestion : D:\ORACLE\ORA92\RDBMS\ARC00047.001
ORA-00280: change 2982738 for thread 1 is in sequence #47

Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

Log applied.
Media recovery complete.
SQL> alter database open;
alter database open
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open

SQL> alter database open resetlogs;

Database altered.

SQL> conn chirag/chirag
Connected.