[askdba] Cloning a oracle 9i database

  • From: drumil narayan <drumilnarayan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:05:10 +0100 (BST)

Dear all,

am preparing a clone for our development db 9i.
am following following steps..resulting in error
ora 1500, 1503

1. alter database backup controlfile to trace

2. in trace file am changing following such that it
will point to cloning locations

   create controlfile.... database 'clone_sid'
resetlogs
   logfiles
   clone locations
   datafiles
   clone locations
   character set..
3 shutdown old_db
4 copy old_db.ora to clone_db.ora
5 changing sid, destinations to clone_db sid and
destinations, not mentioning control file locations
6 startup nomount pfile='clone_db.ora'
  database starts....
7 when am running the control file scripts prepared
using the old_db, it gives me that the datafiles which
i have copied from the old locations to clone
destinatins have the old sid name in their header and
hence unable to mount and open the new db..

where am going wrong..kindly help..drumil