Re: [artworks] Getting text from a PDF into ArtWorks

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:40:42 +0000 (GMT)

In article <e69288c450.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Today I wanted to clip the ArtWorks Keyboard short-cuts page from
> the ArtWorks Manual (AW2_A5Full) in order to paste it into an
> ArtWorks document.

> I have not been able to find a satisfactory way to do it.

> Saving the page as text from !PDF or RiScript makes a real mess,
> and saving as a draw file is little better as all the text is
> exported as single characters.

I save the relevant pages as Drawfiles (from !PDF viewer) and export
to ArtWorks and they reproduce perfectly. Don't forget to
CTRL-A/CTRL-G before adding additional objects.

> Dropping the PDF on ArtWorks is not a good idea either. The
> ArtWorks PDF import is not happy with a 3M 100 page document and
> abends with:-

> Error (399524): Bad LZW stream - unexpected code Error (776277):
> Bad LZW stream - unexpected code terminate called after throwing an
> instance of 'std::bad_alloc' what():  St9bad_alloc

> Fatal signal received: Aborted

Yes - I agree - it is too large a document for ArtWorks to handle.
Unfortunately there is no option to save an individual page as PDF in
the !PDF file viewer use "Page as Drawfile" instead.

Richard