[ARMini-support] Hermes delays. Was: Errors/freezes

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:09:41 +0100

On 29 Mar 2012  Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Well I have had some occasions of apparent freezing but I've noticed
> this after a large email has been downloaded.

That's another problem, I'm afraid; it's been discussed either here or
on the MPro or Hermes lists, and Alan Wrigley knows about it and is on
the case, but so far baffled. It happens when a big message is being
debatched, and happens whether or not MPro is running.

> I now leave the Beagleboard to complete this task which initially
> doesn't show anything, apart from an apparent freeze of the machine.
> This apparent freeze can take up to 4-5minutes, depending on the size
> of the download before normal functionality resumes or a debatch
> window appears.

That's the correct way of dealing with it, at least till Alan comes up
with a fix. I have wondered whether having NetFetch, MPro and NewsDir
together on the SSD as opposed to the main USB stick would solve this
problem, but I'm told with authority that this wouldn't make any
difference.

> I have the advantage with my Beagleboard of having an external hard
> disc drive that I can see the LED flickering on.

On my ARMini I can see the LED on the main USB stick through the
grille on the right side of the machine, which is, as you say, useful.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Hf     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.