Re: [ARMini-support] Where are "OS3 for BB.zip" and !SaveCMOS?

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 19:02:32 GMT

In message <6e9c926952.dougjwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <eba75c6952.D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I can't find either "OS3 for BB.zip" or !SaveCMOS anywhere: The latter
>> is not contained in any Caution directory that I have downloaded and I
>> don't see "OS3 for BB.zip" in the Beagleboarders "folder" on the
>> downloads part of the website. According to previous posts, I need
>> these for my non-xM BeagleBoard if my BB is to boot up with settings
>> previously written to CMOS. I don't have a widget.

>> What is the point of going down the widget route if, with "OS3 for
>> BB.zip" and !SaveCMOS, BB can boot up using the cmos settings on the
>> SD card? That is, what virtue is there in the settings being read from
>> the widget rather than the SD card?

>> Cheers,
>> David Lane

> Dave

> You need uSDcardOS3/zip now as the OS3forBB/zip did cause some issues
> so you need to manually update the card.

> Make sure you read the readme file before you do anything.

> It is !WriteCMOS you need in BBpack/zip

> "WriteCMOS takes the current configuration (in memory),
> and saves it to your OS card for use at next boot"

> Doug

Well, yes, I did wonder whether by !SaveCMOS Andrew really meant
!WriteCMOS and, yes, I had downloaded uSDcardOS3/zip, but was put off
as the ReadMe says that it is for micro SD cards and that it is
"primarily designed for Rev C Beagleboard xM boards, but should work
on rev B and A as well.". However, as I said above I have a non-xM
BeagleBoard which has an ordinary size card, not a micro SD card.
Also I know that !WriteCMOS is still successfully writing to the card,
but the problem is that the settings are being ignored when I next
boot up. This problem has been talked about by David Pitt and others
and, although it has solved his problem, he has an ARMini. So will the
uSDcardOS3/zip work for me?

I could experiment, but I think that clearer advice for those with
original Beagleboards and don't have, or necessarily want, widgets
could have been given.

Dave Lane

List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx