Re: [ARMini-support] Problems with NetSurf

  • From: Chris Hughes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Armini support <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:41:43 +0100

In message <627e519c52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 7 Jun 2012 by Chris Hughes :

[snip]

>> It is already supposed to be ARMv7 OK.

> No, it's not.  The Tinct module is not part of NetSurf, it is merely
> used by NetSurf - in much the same way that Hermes is not part of
> Messenger Pro.  In this case the NetSurf developers have no access to
> the Tinct sources, and its author has not rebuilt it with the ARMv7
> compatibility switch:

> http://vlists.pepperfish.net/pipermail/netsurf-users-netsurf-browser.o
> rg/2010-November/009739.html

Ok thanks for that link, after contacting Steve Fryatt - the RISC OS
front end developer for !NetSurf, he passed this link on.

http://vlists.pepperfish.net/pipermail/netsurf-users-netsurf-browser.org/2010-March/009296.html

So its appears that it sort of works on ARMv7 but not under all
conditions and worse for some reason it can't be recompiled/fixed.

[snip]

>> http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/ARMv7%20software%20c
>> ompatibility%20list
>>
>> I assume you have been looking at this way out of date compatibility
>> list where it talks about !NetSurf 2.5 and mentions Tinct has issues -
>> we are on 2.9 of !NetSurf as the stable release and even higher with
>> development builds.

> Ironically, you've chanced upon the one section of that page which
> *isn't* way out of date - and even more ironically, it was I who updated
> it.  If you look at the column heading more closely, you'll see the 2.5
> refers to the *earliest* working version (as NetSurf 2.5 was the first
> version of the browser built with ARMv7 compatibility in mind).  Prior
> to that, it listed version 2.6!

ah that makes some sense now because last time I looked I thought it
had said 2.6 (just found my old rough notes and I noyed it said 2.6 as
a minimum).

> Listing the earliest working versions of things saves the never-ending
> job of periodically going through the list and incrementing the version
> numbers of everything which has had new releases since the last update.
> Documentation is enough of a drain to maintain as it is.

That makes sense. But too much of the list is out of date to be honest
which does not help.

>> As some else has already said it works with AE on as well.

> I can't answer for that (NetSurf on my ARMini is configured both with AE
> off and 'Use OS'), but I'm merely repeating the official advice (see
> above).  If I were running a module last updated in 2009 on an ARMini
> and trying to determine the cause of a crash, I would always suspect
> that module first.

I have amended my copy of !NetSurf to "Use OS" for images now.

But I do think it needs clearly mentioning on the Netsurf website or
in the downloads, that there is this potential issue.

--
Chris Hughes