Re: [ARMini-support] Hermes delays. Was: Errors/freezes

  • From: Keith Dunlop <keith.dunlop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:18:59 +0100

In message <1941027852.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> However, there are always more risks associated with a cached filing
> system, and the process of moving !Scrap is a little more convoluted
> than many would like (as !Boot needs a Scrap folder in !boot.resources
> during boot).  After that, you can copy !Scrap and run it from the
> SSD.

Moving !Scrap into a RAMdisc is highly recommended as it generally
speeds up anything that is making use of it whilst doing something -
another very good example is lpr network printing.

Although you could write an obey file and put it in !boot.tasks to do
the job I would recommend investigating Memphis:

http://www.richardspencer.freeuk.com/memphis3/

The advantages are is that it is one click in the choices to get it to
handle what happens to !Scrap - the other of course is that it allows
the maximum size of the RAMdisc to grow to 256MB, which is twice the
size that the straight RISC OS disc allows.

Of course far more importantly it comes with a nice new icon and you
can call the disc anything you like!

However on the other side please be aware that !Netsurf is a little
unusual in its use of !Scrap - if !Scrap goes into RAMdisc at boot as
!Netsurf starts up you'll see it doing its font scanning. I don't mind
this but I know others do...

[snip]

> You could also try copying !NetFetch to RAM disc and running it from
> there!

Hmm I hadn't thought of that - might give it a play :-)

Of course it will do nothing about the fact that you can be typing
into thin air whilst netfetch is fetching which is all to do with USB
speeds...

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

--