Re: [ARMini-support] External USB drive.

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 01:22:49 +0100

In message <5233a6d889ron.briscoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ron Briscoe <ron.briscoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <867f7f3352.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a RISC OS formatted hard drive which I never got round to
>> installing into my now dead Iyonix. If I get an enclosure for this,
>> probably with its own power supply, will I be able to use it as a
>> backup disc for the ARMini?

> Well the one I tried did :-)).

> Strangely enough it was a 120 (112) Gigabyte hard drive formatted as ADFS
> that was fitted in an IDE/SATA to USB/eSATA enclosure that I had bought to
> test hard drives for my Iyo ;-).
> [...]

> Although formatted as ADFS the Beagleboard sees it as a SCSI drive.

That is not surprising because there is no such thing as "formatted as
ADFS". The disc format is called FileCore E+ format, and it is used by
ADFS, SCSIFS, IDEFS, RAMFS and various other filing systems that offer
native RISC OS format. The only difference between these filing
systems is what kind of interface RISC OS uses to get at the sector
data, but the format is the same. Of the above the ARMini only
supports RAMFS (RAM disc) and SCSIFS (USB mass storage devices).

Martin
List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx