Re: [ARMini-support] Errors/freezes (longish)

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:20:22 +0100

In article <25973a7652.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There would be the same issue for an empty floppy drive under RISC
> OS 2.  This suggests that the memory leak is specific to the
> !NewIcons code rather than original drive-name reading routines.

Its not so much that the drive is empty - its the fact that the OS is
continually (every pollidle) being asked to return the drive name,
which isn't possible if the drive is empty. For a floppy, the OS
doesn't (presumably) try to read the disc name until it knows from
some sort of hardware event that there is indeed a disc in the drive.
In fact I think the floppy code does poll the hardware so it knows
that discs have been inserted (eg when copying from one floppy to
another in the same drive).

--
        Chris Johnson
List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx