Re: [ARMini-support] CMOS settings ignored

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:55:21 GMT

In message <c0029d7352.dougjwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <51ad967352.D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [snip]

>> I have had another go at creating an SD card using SDCreate. In
>> SDCreate control panel I chose BeagleBoard for Machine type, supplied
>> a riscos rom from ROOL, v3.18, chose correct SCSI drive (2, according
>> to the iconbar names) and supplied my own cmos file that I had written
>> to using !WriteCMOS previously. "Create image" and "Write image" were
>> ticked. I am also using SDCReate v1.21. I also got the following:

>> Decompressing blank image .........................................
>> Copying BOOT/SCR
>> Copying UENV/TXT
>> Copying RISCOS
>> Writing CMOS image
>> Done"

>> I think the order of copying was the same as this.
>> However, when I looked at the card produced, UENV/TXT was not on it;
>> but the other 3 files were.

> Well I didn't check that far.
Can you check it?
Do you know whether or not my set up (BB, no widget etc) needs
UENV/TXT?

>> On booting my BB (BeagleBoard) with this I get, from Reporter, the
>> following as the first chunk.

>> Reporter 2.65b (27 Jan 2011)    List              Tue 20th Mar 2012
>> 15:50

>> 15:49:13.46 ***  Loaded Reporter 2.65b (27 Jan 2011)  ***
>> Heap RMA=&20000000 Max=252M Size=2364K Free=678K Largest=678K
>> Used=1685K (660) Freed=192 (4) Unused=678K
>> 20000014        448 Alloc
>> 200001D4      3,232 Alloc
>> 20000E74         64 Alloc
>> 20000EB4        192 Alloc
>> 20000F74         32 Alloc

>> This continues for another 660 lines before getting to:
>>  | End of Reporter !Run file

>> What can it all mean?

> I don't have reporter set up here but the latest version is 2.66 so
> how about updating to that and seeing what the output is then.

Mine is version 2.65b and dated 27/1/11 and so fairly recent; but that
doesn't seem to be the problem. If there was a problem with reporter
it would show up in other ways too. How many things does one check?

>> Another thing I have been getting recently on boot up is the line

>> Repeat: Internal error: abort on data transfer at &FC0207D8

>> Reporter gives more detail in the following chunk:
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DesktopMod
>> 15:49:27.54 vrmload
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DesktopMod
>> 15:49:27.56 RMLoad
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DrawPool
>> 15:49:27.56 vrmload
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DrawPool
>> 15:49:27.58 RMLoad
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.PaintPool
>> 15:49:27.58 vrmload
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.PaintPool
>> 15:49:27.63 RMLoad
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.WimpPool
>> 15:49:27.63 vrmload
>> SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.WimpPool
>> 15:49:28.00 ** Error **
>>   Error  : &80000002
>>   Message: Internal error: abort on data transfer at &FC0207D8
>> 15:49:28.00 Set LoadWindowTools 1
>> 15:49:28.00 RMEnsure WindowTools 0 Set LoadWindowTools 1

> Have you tried a *where on &FC0207DB?
No. But from the above it seems to be in Resources.!+Resource.WimpPool
.

>> The version of !+Resource I have is dated 30 Oct 2011 and the version
>> of WimpPool is 2.00 dated 26 Nov 2010. These may have come from the
>> ARMini users site as I updated with an "SP" from there recently.

> Was it with SP3?
Yes.

>> Oh, another thing, when I click on Filer in the Configuration window,
>> I get an error from Filer Setup which is described as "Invalid
>> Component ID (0x3f)". If I click continue, then I get the usual range
>> of configuration options.

>> On the plus side, my preferred digital view of the Alarm Clock (not
>> the default) is now followed after boot up. Other options are being
>> followed too: Size of RAM disc and "Windows have iconise buttons" in
>> the Windows configuration. I notice that there is a file called Alarm
>> in Choices.Boot.PreDesk that I don't remember being there before. This
>> seems to hold the choice I have made for the Alarm Clock display. Does
>> that mean that this configuration is no longer held in the cmos file
>> on the SD card?

> Well the Alarm file is set when you save Alarms settings so perhaps
> you have in the past or it has been added in your updates/testing.

>> Which of the various configuration options are held in the cmos file
>> on the SD card?

> Not sure of all the options as some are stored and other not.

> One other check may be to save your old !Boot file and copy over a
> totally new version either from the ROOL site or use Beagleboard
> scheme SP3 and then try reboot and see what happens. If you rename the
> old boot file then it should be easy enough to revert back to using
> it.

> Doug

Yes, I may try other versions of things when I get time.

Dave Lane

--
Join SASAUG, the military wing of Acorn User Groups, and fight
Mickey$oft.