Re: [ARMini-support] CMOS settings ignored

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:55:28 GMT

In message <031e8a7252.dougjwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <980b7f7252.D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [snip]

>> !SDCreate had written 4 files to the card:
>> BOOT/SCR, CMOS, RISCOS and UENV/TXT , where the CMOS file was one that
>> I had created previously with my settings on. The other 3 files come
>> from uSDcard.zip downloaded from the Armini users website and dated
>> 21/02/2012.

> [snip]

> Are you sure about the other 3 files coming from uSDcard.zip as
> SDCreate put them there automatically in my test and you do not need
> to do anything other than select the "BeagleBoard" option under
> machine type.

> If you want to drop me an email with your CMOS file and I will create
> a SDImage for you and send back just so we can check for the same
> issue etc.

> Doug

I have had another go at creating an SD card using SDCreate. In
SDCreate control panel I chose BeagleBoard for Machine type, supplied
a riscos rom from ROOL, v3.18, chose correct SCSI drive (2, according
to the iconbar names) and supplied my own cmos file that I had written
to using !WriteCMOS previously. "Create image" and "Write image" were
ticked. I am also using SDCReate v1.21. I also got the following:

Decompressing blank image .........................................
Copying BOOT/SCR
Copying UENV/TXT
Copying RISCOS
Writing CMOS image
Done"

I think the order of copying was the same as this.
However, when I looked at the card produced, UENV/TXT was not on it;
but the other 3 files were.

On booting my BB (BeagleBoard) with this I get, from Reporter, the
following as the first chunk.

Reporter 2.65b (27 Jan 2011)    List              Tue 20th Mar 2012
15:50

15:49:13.46 ***  Loaded Reporter 2.65b (27 Jan 2011)  ***
Heap RMA=&20000000 Max=252M Size=2364K Free=678K Largest=678K
Used=1685K (660) Freed=192 (4) Unused=678K
20000014        448 Alloc
200001D4      3,232 Alloc
20000E74         64 Alloc
20000EB4        192 Alloc
20000F74         32 Alloc

This continues for another 660 lines before getting to:
 | End of Reporter !Run file

What can it all mean?

Another thing I have been getting recently on boot up is the line

Repeat: Internal error: abort on data transfer at &FC0207D8

Reporter gives more detail in the following chunk:
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DesktopMod
15:49:27.54 vrmload
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DesktopMod
15:49:27.56 RMLoad
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DrawPool
15:49:27.56 vrmload
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.DrawPool
15:49:27.58 RMLoad
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.PaintPool
15:49:27.58 vrmload
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.PaintPool
15:49:27.63 RMLoad
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.WimpPool
15:49:27.63 vrmload
SCSI::HardDisc1.$.!BOOT.Resources.!+Resource.WimpPool
15:49:28.00 ** Error **
  Error  : &80000002
  Message: Internal error: abort on data transfer at &FC0207D8
15:49:28.00 Set LoadWindowTools 1
15:49:28.00 RMEnsure WindowTools 0 Set LoadWindowTools 1

The version of !+Resource I have is dated 30 Oct 2011 and the version
of WimpPool is 2.00 dated 26 Nov 2010. These may have come from the
ARMini users site as I updated with an "SP" from there recently.

Oh, another thing, when I click on Filer in the Configuration window,
I get an error from Filer Setup which is described as "Invalid
Component ID (0x3f)". If I click continue, then I get the usual range
of configuration options.

On the plus side, my preferred digital view of the Alarm Clock (not
the default) is now followed after boot up. Other options are being
followed too: Size of RAM disc and "Windows have iconise buttons" in
the Windows configuration. I notice that there is a file called Alarm
in Choices.Boot.PreDesk that I don't remember being there before. This
seems to hold the choice I have made for the Alarm Clock display. Does
that mean that this configuration is no longer held in the cmos file
on the SD card?

Which of the various configuration options are held in the cmos file
on the SD card?

Cheers,
Dave Lane

--
Join SASAUG, the military wing of Acorn User Groups, and fight
Mickey$oft