[argyllcms] Re: using a digital camera as a colorimeter

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:11:09 +0100

Hi,

Greg Sullivan wrote:

I know you are profiling lots of printers, but for others who may
just need one or a few profiles for their printer, the time taken
to take a few thousand measurements may be worth it.

Indeed - it really depends what you're trying to achieve. 300 patches is more than enough for pleasing photographic output, providing your printer driver is "well-behaved". With colour adjustments disabled, Gutenprint seems to fit this description very well...

If, on the other hand, you're creating a profile with which you hope to produce pre-press proofs, spending the time on a more detailed target is likely to pay dividends...

With the colour mouse auto measuring (without having to press the button each time), and the patches printed large enough to faciliate
rapid placement of the device, it takes me between 4 and five hours to
measure a 3000 patch target. This time is neglible compared to the amount
of time I spend doing other things. (such as trying to understand
Argyll ;^) ;^)

I took me about 15 minutes last night to measure 144 patches, pressing the button each time, and with patches just under 12mm square. The light in my office isn't good enough to use auto-pickup mode...

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson