[argyllcms] Re: using a digital camera as a colorimeter

  • From: "Gerhard Fuernkranz" <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:23:04 +0200 (MEST)

This does not apply in general, but depends on the scanner
and the used scanning software. Neither of the two Epson scanners
I owned so far, did clip paper white in the raw data sent by the
scanner to the scanning software, if the scanner was used in the
appropriate operating mode (for instance: color correction =
"no correction", gamma = user defined 1.0).

> > The colourmouse, AFAICT has a fairly simple light sensor (possibly
> > even monochrome), and cycles between several different coloured LEDs.
> > Using the amount of light reflected from the patch for each colour,
> > the driver software figures out an XYZ value for the measured patch.
>
> Hmm, this is very clever, and would explain the cost of the instrument.
> I thought LED spectral emission to be spikey, so a collection of them
> would be needed to create a smooth overlap. The sensor is likely to be a
> silicon photodiode.

If you are interestedm they also have published a technical paper:
http://www.colorsavvy.com/PDFs/Color_mouse_paper.pdf

Regards,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Fuernkranz
nospam456@xxxxxx

NEU: Telefon-Flatrate fürs dt. Festnetz! GMX Phone_Flat: 9,99 Euro/Mon.*
Für DSL-Nutzer. Ohne Providerwechsel! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/telefonie