[argyllcms] Re: telling X11 about location of display profile.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:28:18 -0600

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 17:58 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > I am still confused. And I think it must be about some very basic point.
> > I keeping reading explanations and the words don't seem mean what I
> > thought they did.
> > How does the system know what the "persistently configured profile" is?
> > Where is it or its location stored?
>
> Notice that <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispwin.html#I> refers
> to <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ucmm.html>, which explains
> where this information is stored.

Thanks for taking so much time answering my questions.  I was beginning
to think I would have to try to decypher the source code to understand
what was going on.

I had looked at the options for dispwin, but I somehow missed the
reference to ucmn.  Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Apparently, when I ran dispwin -I xxxx.icc, it created a file
~/.config/color.jcnf
which I presume will be consulted each time I run dispwin -L.

So when I start X by logging in,  I could either just run
dispwin -I xxxx.icc

or
dispwin -I xxxx.cal or xcalib xxxx.icc
and
dispwin -L

Presently, I am doing the former.

Things are beginning to make sense to me again.  But I am not satisfied
with the profiles I've produced using dispcal -o.  There is a distinct
magenta tint to my grayscale test image, which I can't seem to get rid
of. It may have to do with a failure to account for ambient light in the
process, but when I do that, I get very large gammas, and, if I remember
correctly,  I still get the magenta tint.

I am going to try the more extended method to produce a profile.

> > As I understand it, when I first login, thus restarting X, my system
> > doesn't know anything about a profile and the video card has whatever
> > its default LUT is.
>
> Yep.
>
> > As far as I can see, if I just run dispwin -L (no argument), my system
> > won't know how to set _ICC_PROFILE.
>
> It will if you've installed the profile using dispwin -I xxxx.icc.

It is beginning to make sense now.