[argyllcms] Re: telling X11 about location of display profile.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:03:37 -0600

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 08:29 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 10.12.08, 21:18 -0600 schrieb Leonard Evens:
> > I think at this point I do understand that a profile has a calibration
> > section and also a profile, and I understand what they do.  But I am
> > still unclear about which commands to use to do it.
>
> There are several ways to setup X11 for CM under Linux.
>
> xicc and xcalib do very basic stuff. xicc can set the _ICC_PROFLE atom.
> xcalib is a graphic card LUT loader.

As I noted elsewhere, I have no program xicc under Fedora 9, which is
what I use for my primary machine.  xicc is an Ubuntu package, which
I've now downloaded to a relatively new laptop running Ubuntu 8.04.
(I'm still not comfortable using Ubuntu, and the only display I have for
it presently is the laptop display.)  For Fedora, it is apparently moot
since dispwin -I xxx,icc can do it.  Apparently, dispwin -L  can also do
it, but I don't understand that presently.

> dispwin and oyranos-monitor maintain each a own non compatible database
> for user side configuration. They assist in setting up the monitor
> profile. The overlapping end is the _ICC_PROFILE specification:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/icc_profiles_in_x_spec
> So basically they do the same, but things have to settle to let them
> more converge.
>
> > Finally, can anyone remind me about which other programs under Linux can
> > make use of the profile in this way, and how you manage to tell them to
> > do it?
>
> http://www.behrmann.name/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=69&Itemid=95
> http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Applications
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_color_management

Thanks for the references.

--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University