[argyllcms] Re: spotread filters

  • From: "Jacques Warnon" <j.warnon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:18:01 -0400

Thanks Graeme, I guess that's a little out of my league for the time being.
I got really excited when I first read about Argyll's custom FWA
compensation when used with profile.  But since I'm profiling a CMYKRB
printer, I realize now I can't profile with Argyll.  So when I saw the
option to put in a custom filter at the measurement level, I just wanted to
find out what that was about.  Seems like I will still be editing
measurement files in excel for the time being.

I have asked this question to Gretag/Xrite before with no real luck, but I
will post and see if anyone has an idea.  Our printing media (sublimated
polyester) seems to wreak havoc on colorimeters, especially in the
highlights.  It seems similar to the effect of optical brightening agents,
but much more pronounced.  Profilemakers optical brightening option doesn't
fix it, and a borrowed UV cut i1 didn't help either.  If I were to put it in
simple terms, I feel like I need to calibrate my i1 spectrometer to my
media.  But how does one go about calibrating a calibration device?  It
seems to work well on coated papers, but fabrics are a different story.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can incorporate some sort of
corrective transforms like FWA into my workflow?   Keeping in mind of course
that one piece of the puzzle needs to be a CMYKRB output profile made with
Profilemaker.  Maybe something like an abstract profile I could apply
between my input and output profiles, possibly using icclink?

I hope this isn't too out of the scope of the list. Thanks again, all.

Jacques