[argyllcms] printcal

  • From: Klaus Kompatscher <kkompatscher@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:41:42 +0200

Hi

I got a doubt on how to use printcal in case to match existing linearization
of a target printer. Target Printer is already linearized (the result is not
very linear) but new printer (similar type of target printer) should match
the target.
Max density of primaries of second printer is higher than of the target
printer.

I carried out the following steps:

1. I printed Argyll lin target on target printer with its linearization on
and got targetprinter.ti3 file.
2. I printed Argyll lin target on second printer without linearization
curves and got secondprinter.ti3 file.
3. Created targetprinter.cal by using printcal -i targetprinter.ti3
4. Created cal file for second printer with printcal -r targetprinter.cal
secondprinter.ti3

For my understanding with the above procedure printcal should match
the curves of the target printer although they are not linear but curved.
After the first tests I did printcal clipped the higher densities of the
second printer to match the target printer but the linearization curves
became linear and not curved as the target.
Is this was printcal does or is something wrong?

Thanks for any feed back

Klaus Kompatscher