(no subject)

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:49:26 +0100 (CET)

From: Benjamin B <benjamin_b@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Different applications & renderings
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:59:38 +1300

From: Benjamin B <benjamin_b@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: [argyllcms]
Different applications & renderings Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:57:45
+1300 "Geeqie and rawtherapee are pretty close. Gimp is far off.
Firefox looks the same as gimp."

That could mean that Gimp and Firefox dont see the system profile and
no EDID, which the later can create a ICC profile from. Both might
simply assume sRGB.

Kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann

New concepts by the minute -- I had never heard of EDID. However I don't
have a system profile installed as far as I know. Should I? What system
are we talking about anyway -- KDE or X or Linux or something different?

X11's _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) spec is the heart of Xorg colour management. Dispwin, Gnome-Color-Manager, KolorManager and xicc are rather supporting that system atom(s).

Anyway in the latest comparison between all four applications there's a
little difference between Firefox and GIMP too.
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1410/cmall.png

There is some test material out in the web:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Standards#Compliance_Testing
Try setting the FakeBRG.icc profile as your monitor profile. Applications using the system profile should render in swapped colours. Experiment, note results or better report them to projects and then switch back to your normal monitor profile.

Here are some test images to check the input ICC profile:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Test_Images

Getting more confused... Is there a good overview of all the bits and
pieces anywhere that I could read? This is for anyone who knows :)

Guessedly that information is spread around the net. I have written a conceptual article about monitor colour management, which might or might not give you some glue:
http://www.oyranos.org/2011/09/colour-correction-concepts-for-monitors/

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--