[argyllcms] Re: i1 Display bundled with Samsung XL20

  • From: "Gerhard Fürnkranz" <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 00:19:10 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:10:13 +0200
> Von: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [argyllcms] Re: i1 Display bundled with Samsung XL20

> There are several ways to define a LUT (gamma formula
> parameters, tables in different sizes and bit depths,
> ...), maybe some of them work for NCE and others don't?

I tried, and it doesn't accept CLUT profiles [which I did
not expect anyway], but it does accept matrix/TRC profiles
whose TRCs are defined as 1D-LUTs as emulation target (not
only matrix/gamma ones).

> on second thought: if the XL20 can emulate (user defined)
> colorspaces, I guess there is a complete color engine
> similar to the one of the HP Dreamcolor inside the display:
> it has two LUTs: (HP calls them pre- an post-LUTs) and
> performs a matrix transformation between them. Maybe NCE
> can access only one of the LUTs?

Since the XL20 can emulate primaries different from the
native ones, there must be a matrix transformation involved
too. And yes, certainly the most obvious model would be
TRC1->matrix->TRC2. Good question, whether one can access
the 2nd LUT too... Of course, even if TRC2 is fixed, I think
it still would be possible to find a TRC1 [which may need to
be different from the emulated profile's TRC], which yields
at least an accurate gray axis; an overall perfect emulation
can't be expected anyway, e.g. because the display isn't
perfectly additive, thus it cannot be modeled exactly by
a matrix and TRC2.

Regards,
Gerhard

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!*