[argyllcms] Re: i1 Display bundled with Samsung XL20

  • From: "Gerhard Fürnkranz" <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:21:59 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:49:58 +0200
> Von: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [argyllcms] Re: i1 Display bundled with Samsung XL20

> While Argyll has to use the LUT of the graphics card, NCE should be able
> to use the internal LUT of the XL20. I'd expect to get less banding when
> using the internal LUT, particularly when there are large differences
> between the calibration target and the native display response. As the
> XL20 is a wide gamut display with a high contrast ratio, the differences
> should be conspicuous all the more. However it might be well so that not
> even NCE can access the internal LUTs properly: Some time ago someone
> from basICColor told me that Samsung has to amend the XL displays
> (firmware I hope) to make them suitable for proper hardware calibration.

Klaus,

so you believe that the "abbreviated calibration" is not just a limitation of
NCE, but that even access to the hardware LUT is not yet implemented in the
firmware? [I think there are no doubts whether there exists hardware LUTs in an
XL20?] But then I'm wondering, how NCE can load the TRC of emulated profiles
into the monotor (if emulation mode is used, where the XL20 gets adjusted so
that it emuluates the behavior of a given profile). But I must admit that I
haven't yet tested this mode thoroughly either.

Btw, the ability to calibrate the XL20 coarsely with NCE before doing a dispcal
calibration (-> graphics card LUTs) has at least the advantage that the
graphics card LUTs only need to do minor adjustments and do not steal too many
RGB levels.

Regards,
Gerhard

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!*