[argyllcms] Re: i1 Display bundled with Samsung XL20

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:34:31 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:
> Hi Gerhard,
>
>     so this is substituting an i1idisplay for the instrument that
> comes with the XL20 ?

Hi Graeme,

no, this is about using the "LED SyncMaster"-branded i1 Display with

   1. the "Natural Color Expert" (the Samsung software for calibrating
      the XL20)

   2. but also using this instrument with Argyll

    a) for calibrating/profiling the XL20 with dispcal/dispread/colprof

    b) but also for measuring other displays

You surely remember, my initial doubt was, whether the eeprom of the
"LED SyncMaster"-branded i1 Display stores a special LCD correction
matrix for the XL20's LED backlight, or whether the instrument still
contains the standard LCD calibration, while any potential correction
for the XL20 spectrum is done by Samsung's calibration software. Since
the NCE readings and the Argyll (dispcal/dispread -yl) readings (on
white and primaries) agree very well, rather the former seems to be the
case.

But if this is the case, then the bad news is that the "LED
SyncMaster"-branded i1 Display won't be suitable as general purpose
instrument for measuring other LCD displays (or only with reduced
accuracy), unless a suitable correction is applied to the readings.

> Hmm. I get the impression that a few of these high end displays do
> very abbreviated "calibrations". I suspect this is because
> it's not really a calibration, but simply a re-targeting of the aim
> points, on the assumption that the factory calibration remains
> accurate, and that therefore the software "knows" how the display
> needs to be driven to meet the targets. So apart from any drift of the
> white point and primaries, they don't actually do much in the way of
> calibration.

Basically I don't see a problem with this strategy, as long as the
factory calibration is, and remains accurate enough. The "abbreviated
calibration" is of course faster, which is convenient for the user. I
also don't want to say that the factory calibration of my XL20 is really
bad; the calibration after re-targeting WP/BP/primaries is certainly
more than sufficient for most home users, but for playing in the
high-end league I'd expect an even more accurate fit to the calibration
target curve (which seem to be easily achievable with a full calibration
(e.g. with dispcal)).

Regards,
Gerhard