[argyllcms] Re: help with camera profile

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 04:41:25 -0700 (PDT)

I have abandoned UFraw. It does not have the required tools for highlight
recovery and tonal adjustments.

OK, so get the ColorChecker and test your profiles. If they deliver accurate
scene referred colour then most other problems (e.g. shadows, highlights) are
in the work flow have little to do with the profile and Argyll CMS.

Adobe lightroom and DNG profiles seem to be a satisfactory solution for the
majority of digital photographers. We like to think we can do better with other
software and by making our own profiles but first ask yourself two questions:
1) Are you as clever as the people in Adobe?
2) Do you have the resources that Adobe has?

I haven't switched to Adobe (their products are outrageously overpriced) but I
do plan to experiment with DNG profiles, which are supported in Raw Therapee.
If it works then I'll use it.

ColorCheckers are affordable, Adobe DNG profile editor and X-Rite ColorChecker
Passport software are free. DNG is, I think, open-source.

Stephen.