[argyllcms] Re: help with camera profile

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:50:32 -0400

Yes, the Passport does contain the identical patch, it's just more
convenient and it also has some other valuable tools.  You can also use the
X-Rite software and Adobe Lightroom to do a camera calibration which will be
specific for your camera.  The effects are quite subtle but noticeable.
With respect to the dynamic range of the camera, yes this can be an issue
which is why so much has been written about exposing to the right (ETTR) so
that you move the histogram more towards white clipping.  The problem is
that the camera manufacturers set the software to render the histogram as
they see fit and you may end up losing 1/3 to 1 full stop of information
this way.  Two ways to get around this are 1) bracketing so that you get
several images with a range of exposures or 2) setting your camera up for
Uni-White Balance (UniWB) that will counter what the camera maker has set
up.  You can also extend the dynamic range by HDR as long as you don't go
overboard with wild colors.  Photoshop can do this and there are other
shareware software packages as well.

Alan