[argyllcms] Re: fwa compensation unexpected results

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 00:26:16 +1000

Roberto Michelena wrote:

As it should. If it's all working, the papers should now match (although,
maybe not perfectly, since adding the yellow will pull the L down.
If the L goes down too much, it's not a good match, and your reference
is out of gamut as far as the proofing paper is concerned.)

This is quite true... not easy to find proofing papers with L>=95, and
when so, they tend to be either very expensive or ridden with
brighteners.
Maybe the gamut mapping strategy for the white point (and vicinity)
should be optimized differently (than the rest of the profile), even
for absolute colorimetric.

Yes, if your target is very bright, this can be a challenge. We struggled to find a paper to match that used in the Cromalin analog proofing. Often papers with high levels of FWA, have poor basic characteristics that the FWA is meant to cover up. Standard cheap office copy paper is a perfect example.

I usually view by the window, but I have to admit Lima's sky is a
permanent gray. We call it "rat's belly gray" and only in summer does
it recede a little to show the blue sky.

Normal glass filters out a lot of UV, so this could well be a low UV viewing environment.

So I should start by measuring that illuminant? unfortunately I think
an Eye-One won't cut it, right?
Let's say I measure with my Eye-One now and get the custom spectra of
my daylight.
- should I measure over various days (cloudy, sunny) and daytimes and
average it? or is it a standard saying "measure at noon"? I guess it's
always indirect measurement, right? (through a window)

I think some Eye-Ones will do this, but I'm only going by what I've read. From personal experience, I've used a Spectroscan, and a Spectrolino for this sort of purpose. I wouldn't worry about the circumstances exactly, pick something "typical", and then go from there.

- how would I "complete" the spectra towards lower wavelenghts? copy from D50?

That's the tricky bit. The best first approximation would be to simply repeat the last reading (380 nm ?) down to 300nm. Be prepared to vary this a bit though. In your situation, if the proof was still too yellow, reduce the extrapolated illuminant levels. If it's too blue, increase them a bit. The main advantage is that once it's right, it should work OK with other combinations of media, without having to fiddle (in theory).

Regarding the  -I flag in spec2cie... when dealing with common
spectros (Eye-One, DTP-70, etc) then I should always specify "A"
illuminant?

If you were intending to view the prints under standard tungsten lighting, then 'A' would be appropriate. I think quartz halogen is a little hotter though.

It seems FWA compensation in Argyll would only work if you have access
to spectral data for both your reference and your proof?

Correct. If you're reference was fairly free of FWA, and you were viewing in actual D50, you might get away without it, but as soon as you set your viewing illuminant to non-D50, you need spectral information for the reference anyway, or there will be large color mismatches, irrespective of whether FWA compensation is used.