[argyllcms] Re: error "Instrument Access Failed" with Spyder 2

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:45:07 +1000

Jordi Puigsegur Figueras wrote:
I've tried with all of USB ports (there are eight) and it is the same
with all.

That's bad luck. The problem is that without a bus analyser it's hard
to know exactly what is going on, and mine is still in bits:
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bushing/openvizsla-open-source-usb-protocol-analyzer/posts>

There is something peculiar about the Linux USB drivers, since this
problem only occurs on Linux, and has got worse with latter releases.
An earlier kernel happily runs through a hub. If and when I have
an analyser to use, I'll see if I can figure out what's going on,
and feed it back to the Linux USB people.

I understand that this is a problem specific of the Spyder. Since I just
borrowed it from a friend, when time comes I'll buy some other hardware
that is really "open source friendly".

Unfortunately there aren't too many choices. X-Rite/Pantone is
about it in terms of affordable ones. You could look at a Huey,
ColorMunki Create, or Eye One Display 2 (I'm not sure that the
Eye One Display LT is available any more).