[argyllcms] Re: dispwin vs xcalib loading LUT

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:00:17 +0100 (CET)

Frédéric,

Am 31.12.06, 11:36 +0100 schrieb Frédéric:

> I have a strange behaviour with xcalib vs dispwin when loading LUT. They do
> not seem to read the vcgtag the same way, depending of the profile.
>
> Let me try to explain...
>
> I attached a profile coming with xcalib package. This profile has a 2.2
> gamma. When loaded with xcalib, it does not change anything to my
> uncalibrated screen (no previous profile loaded). But when loaded with
> dispwin, the screen becomes very bright.

xcalib should change the grafics card gamma table as described in the vcgt
tag. I would guess xcalib is not supporting the parametric entry (~2.2) in
opposite to the most often used curves.
The ICC Examin grafic cards gamma window (ctrl-t) window should show you
the current state of the gamma table in your grafic card. A vcgt entry of
2.2 is big and should affect the calibration and appearance of the
monitor clearly.

> *But*, when I load an Argyll generated profile (also attached), they both
> give the same result!

The argyll profile uses a curved vcgt tag.

> I had a look in the profiles, with iccexamin, and I saw differences; it
> seems that the vcgtag is linear in Argyll generated profile, even if it is
> a 2.2 gamma profile. But I also see that the [rgb]TRC tags are, in both
> cases, the same (2.2 gamma curved).

The vcgt tag is independent of the TRC curves. Vcgt stores a calibration,
inside the profile. In opposite the TRC curves describe the
colour space after the calibration or the appliance of the vcgt curves to
the grafic card LUTs.

> Graeme, can you explain me how exaclty dispwin loads LUT? Do you know why
> xcalib does not give the same results only on its sample file?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
development for color management