[argyllcms] Re: dispcalGUI 0.2b

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:12:31 +0100

Roger Breton wrote:
Second observation, I was not expecting that a DOS shell window would open
up with Argyll's prompts, to which I have to respond. This is fine. But I
have to confess I was expecting to be shielded from this "complexity": not
that the system is unworkable as it is, it is remarkable, but I did not
think this is what would happen.

Hiding the underlying utilities and the shell window is on my list, but I have yet to find a way to interact with the commandline tools like dispcal programmatically (and cross-platform).

I'll share my settings later but the resulting LUT profile wasn't great.
Maybe because I only ask for 127 samples to generate a LUT-base monitor
profile? In the skintones of some close-up portraits, in Photoshop, using
this first profile, there was some visible, less than flattering color
shifts and slight posterizations.

Second, using the EyeOnePro, I tried calibrating and create a profile under
the exact settings. Not better.

Third, I asked for 512 samples. This time, the color was very nice. Very
nice indeed.

Yes, it generally benefits from a larger sample count. Reason for the smaller default testchart is that it takes less time, for people who want a quicker profile (I should maybe add to the ReadMe that more samples are recommended for higher quality, especially when building LUT profiles).

Regards,

Florian Höch