[argyllcms] Re: dispcalGUI 0.2b

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:12:11 +1100

Roger Breton wrote:
BTW, Graeme, I was told by the EyeOnePro's product manager that the 3.3 nm
raw signal could not be exploited directly. Apparently, the optical system
used in the EyeOnePro is not capable of better than 6 to 8 nm resolution.
That is why, he says, that they only report 10nm data. True or false? You
have it from the horse's mouth.

My impression is that yes, the real resolution in 3.3 nm mode is about
10nm, but that in 10nm mode it is about 15-20nm. This was confirmed
by examining the results of measuring a laser source.

To my eyes the graphs speak for themselves. The difference between
3.3 and 10nm mode is clear, the peaks are slightly narrower and noticeably
taller, so there is the promise of slightly better accuracy for
peaky sources. Unfortunately I don't have a reference instrument
capable of confirming or refuting this.